Introducing our newest additions to the deluxe accommodation at Flaxmill, Purangi and Cathedral.
Completed in December 2017, as well as boasting all the quality fixtures and fittings of our other accommodation, these one-level 3 bedroom houses are more spacious and have been specifically designed to provide for guests who are wheelchair users or have mobility difficulties.
Sleeping up to 6 people (twin share), the layout of the houses is a mirror image of each other, but the accessible facilities in both houses are the same. Each offers an accessible bathroom and kitchen (fully-equipped), wide doorways and a generous deck with a dedicated mobility parking space and path access up to the deck.
See our tips for accessible activities in the area below.
our accessible HOUSEs offer...
- Premium, spacious, wheelchair friendly accommodation
- A fully accessible bathroom with hand rails and a roll in shower
- Wide doorways of 800mm and a kitchen with all equipment at or below bench height
- Dedicated mobility parking space within 20 metres of house entrance
- 3 double bedrooms that can be configured to king beds or singles
- Dining area and lounge with TV/Freeview and a gas fireplace
- Wide outdoor deck with a BBQ and seating area
- And all the other amenities of our Garden View Houses
TIP: Passenger Ferry to WhitiangaThe large ferry, the Diana-Rose has full wheelchair access, however only runs 75% of the time. We recommend you contact the Ferry Master directly to check the operating schedule ahead of your trip.
TIP: Mobility ParkingIf you are catching the ferry, there are are 2 mobility parks at the Cemetery Car Park in Ferry Landing. If driving to Whitianga, there are many throughout the town. The mobile APP "Access Aware" is useful to pin point the exact location of these car parks.
TIP: Mercury Bay MuseumA great little museum for young and old located across the road from the wharf. It has wheelchair access and accessible toilet facilities.
TIP: The Lost Spring SpaWhile there are no lifting aids at the spa, if you have a caregiver with you and are able to swim, the sides of the pools slope away gently.
TIP: Cathedral CoveThe Cove track is not suitable for people with mobility difficulties and the tour boats have fixed seats so cannot cater for wheelchairs. Sea Cave Adventures offer boat tours around the coast from Whitianga Wharf, so if you can negotiate a small flight of steps, they can help you to a seat.
TIP: Waiau Water WorksThis quirky water activity park is fully wheelchair accessible and service dog friendly. There is even a mobility scooter available to use while on site.
TIP: Driving Creek RailwayAccess to the train is by a small flight of steps and a short walk. Full wheelchair access is available provided you book in advance and arrive early so the can adjust the train seating for your wheelchair.
- RATES are in NZD, include GST and are subject to change
- MINIMUM NIGHT requirements differ depending on the season
- ACCESSIBLE HOUSE bookings are subject to availability as there are only 2 onsite. Please let us know if you require these facilities when booking.
- CHECK IN 3.30pm - 6.30pm CHECK OUT 10.00am
- MAXIMUM 6 people per House
- INFANTS under 2 years no charge if not using a bed
- HIGH CHAIR AND COT available upon request (subject to availability)
- NO TENTS can be erected on the House grounds
- WI-FI available however we make no guarantees on the quality of the signal or its speed, especially during Peak Season
- RUBBISH use council-approved blue rubbish bag (available at office)
- SORRY NO PETS allowed on site (except Service Dogs)
- NO NOISE POLICY between 10.30pm - 7.00am
- MAXIMUM 2 VEHICLES per House including boats (unless prior arrangement)
- PEAK SEASON BOOKINGS: As the accommodation is rented out as holiday homes over the peak, they are not serviced. It is expected that guests will keep the accommodation clean and tidy during their stay (cleaning products are provided). Flaxmill staff will clear rubbish and recycling bins and replace towels every three days. A full clean will be undertaken by Flaxmill after checkout.
- NO SMOKING Flaxmill is a non smoking site
- ALL BOOKINGS are subject to availability and our Terms and Conditions