With a permanent resident base of around 5,000, the seaside town of Whitianga is the main regional town servicing the Mercury Bay area and is the second largest town on the Coromandel Peninsula after Thames. As with the smaller hamlets on the Coromandel, the town's population triples over the summer months with holiday makers enjoying the beautiful nearby beaches, regional activities and quintessential Coromandel landscapes.
At Flaxmill, our guests enjoy both the relaxing nature of our location with the easy access to Whitianga for eating out, shopping or stocking up on some necessities.
Whitianga can be reached by catching a passenger ferry from Ferry Landing (1.5 kms from Flaxmill) across the small harbour to Whitianga Wharf. Generally, the ferries operate 365 days of the year from 7.30am to 7.30pm, then again from 8.30pm to 10.30pm (however the timetable may vary seasonly).
The ferry ride itself takes about 2 minutes and within a 5 minute walk, you'll find yourself on Albert Street in the main shopping district. If you're looking for water-based activities, boat tours or fishing charters, the wharf is where these will leave from.
Should you wish to find out more about the area and what activities are on offer, the Whitianga i-SITE Visitor Centre is located at 66 Albert Street, a 10 minute walk from the wharf.
As an alternative to the ferry, if you need more provisions than you can carry, or wish to explore further up the coast, you can drive around the harbour to Whitianga (this takes about 45 minutes one way).
- Eat Out: Many great restaurants and cafes to choose from
- Explore: Mercury Bay Regional Museum (opposite wharf)
- Relax: Lost Spring Thermal Pools (15 mins walk from wharf)
- Movies: Mercury Bay Twin Cinemas (8 mins walk from wharf)
- Sightseeting: Fishing charters, glass bottom boat tours and more...
- Shopping: Everything from surf gear to sunscreen
- Groceries: 2 supermarkets (15-20 mins walk from wharf)
- Petrol Stations: Gull and Z
- Other: The Warehouse, Placemakers, Aerodrome
- Healthcare: Medical Centres and Dentists
flaxmill is a 15 min walk to ferry landing...
- Turn left from our gates onto Purangi Road
- Follow the road to the Ferry terminal for approximately 1.5 kms
- Catch the passenger ferry across - this is a paid service!
- The main shopping district at Albert Street is only 5 mins walk from the Wharf