whitianga scallop festival
The Scallop Festival is taking a "gap" year in 2018 due to a proposed upgrade of the Whitianga Marina. It will be back in 2019!
In its place, some Whitianga restaurants have organised 'A Celebration of Seafood' weekend over 22 - 23 September. Enjoy Seafood & Music with Beer and wine matches, in and around Whitianga Restaurants and Wineries.
The Scallop Festival is a very popular foodie event usually held annually in Whitianga in September to celebrate the start of the scallop season.
There’s something for everyone, young and old – with many food and wine stalls, seafood and cooking demonstrations from some of NZ’s top chefs, and live music and entertainment. The first Whitianga Scallop Festival was held in 2005 and its popularity has steadily increased every year.
Get ready to shuck some new season scallops, get tips on how to cook them by well-known NZ chefs, try a local beer and listen to some iconic kiwi bands.
Flaxmill is within walking distance to Ferry Landing and the 5 minute passenger ferry over to Whitianga. A great place to base yourself while enjoying the Scallop Festival!
- Scallop Festival Dates: 2019 Dates TBC
- A Celebration of Seafood: 22 - 23 September 2018
- Where: In and around Whitianga Restaurants and Wineries
- More Info: Refer to the Scallop Festival website
- Getting there: Take a short walk to Ferry Landing and catch the 5 minute passenger ferry across to Whitianga
- And of course...Don't forget to book your accommodation at Flaxmill!
flaxmill is a 1.5 km walk to ferry landing...
- Turn left from our gates onto Purangi Road
- Follow the main road down to Ferry Landing Wharf
- Buy your tickets on the ferry (cash only)
- In less than 5 minutes you'll be in Whitianga