Whitianga Scallop Festival 2020
The Scallop Festival is a very popular foodie event usually held annually in Whitianga in September to celebrate the start of the scallop season.
There’s something for everyone, young and old – with many food and wine stalls, seafood and cooking demonstrations from some of NZ’s top chefs, and live music and entertainment. The first Whitianga Scallop Festival was held in 2005 and its popularity has steadily increased every year.
Get ready to shuck some new season scallops, get tips on how to cook them by well-known NZ chefs, try a local beer and listen to some iconic kiwi bands.
Flaxmill is within walking distance to Ferry Landing and the 5 minute passenger ferry over to Whitianga. A great place to base yourself while enjoying the Scallop Festival!
- Scallop Festival Dates: September 2020 date TBC
- Where: Marine Reserve, The Esplanade, in Whitianga
- Tickets: From mid April each year, you can usually buy Early Bird tickets through the Whitianga Scallop Festival website. There are usually door sales at the event, however as it is a very popular event, we recommend purchasing your tickets in advance.
- Getting there: Take a short walk to Ferry Landing and catch the 5 minute passenger ferry across to Whitianga.
- And of course...Don't forget to book your accommodation at Flaxmill!
flaxmill is a 1.5 km walk to ferry landing...
- Turn left from our gates onto Purangi Road
- Follow the main road down to Ferry Landing Wharf
- Buy your tickets on the ferry (cash only)
- In less than 5 minutes you'll be in Whitianga