whitianga scallop festival
Unfortunately, the Scallop Festival is taking a "gap" year in 2018, but they say they'll be back in 2019!
The Scallop Festival is a very popular foodie event usually held annually in Whitianga in September to celebrate the start of the scallop season.
There’s something for everyone, young and old – with many food and wine stalls, seafood and cooking demonstrations from some of NZ’s top chefs, and live music and entertainment. The first Whitianga Scallop Festival was held in 2005 and its popularity has steadily increased every year.
Get ready to shuck some new season scallops, get tips on how to cook them by well-known NZ chefs, try a local beer and listen to some iconic kiwi bands.
Flaxmill is within walking distance to Ferry Landing and the 5 minute passenger ferry over to Whitianga. A great place to base yourself while enjoying the Scallop Festival!
Local TIPs on the scallop festival
- Dates: No event in 2018
- Getting there: Take a short walk to Ferry Landing and catch the 5 minute passenger ferry across to Whitianga and you'll be right in the thick of it!
- Ferry Service: Usually runs an extended service on the Saturday
- Tickets: There are usually door sales at the event, however this is not guaranteed. As it is a very popular event, we recommend purchasing your tickets in advance. From mid April, you can usually buy Early Bird tickets through the Whitianga Scallop Festival website. Children under 5 are free.
- And of course...Don't forget to book your accommodation at Flaxmill ;-)
flaxmill is only a 1 km walk to ferry landing...
- Turn left from our gates onto Purangi Road
- Follow the main road down to Ferry Landing Wharf
- Buy your tickets on the ferry (cash only)
- In less than 5 minutes you'll be in Whitianga