mercury bay art escape 2018
The Coromandel region is home to many talented emerging and established NZ artists. From sculptors and painters to weavers and jewellers. The Mercury Bay Art Escape is a popular self-drive art tour from Tairua through to Otama, set up to showcase the amazing talent this area has to offer.
The offical event has been held annually in March each year since 2008, but its roots go as far back as 2005. Across 2 weekends, around 50 participating local artists and galleries open their studio doors to the public, providing a great opportunity to see the artists at work and a chance to meet and talk with them to understand the inspiration behind their work.
So…Book your stay at Flaxmill and use us as a convenient base from which to enjoy the Art Escape.
Local TIPs on the ART ESCAPE
- Open Studio Weekends: March 2018 TBC
- Time: 10am - 4pm
- Where: Participating artist studios and galleries in the Mercury Bay area
- Launch Event: TBC
- Tour Guide: An official guide is released each year which provides a great reference with easy to follow maps and information about the participating artists. This is available from The Mercury Bay Art Escape website.
- And of course...Don't forget to book your accommodation ;-)
flaxmill is a convenient BASE to enjoy the art escape...
- Walking distance to Cooks Beach and the passenger ferry at Ferry Landing
- 10 minutes drive to Hahei
- 15 minutes drive to Hot Water Beach
- 15 minutes drive to Whenuakite