mercury bay art escape 2019
The Coromandel region is home to many talented emerging and established NZ artists. From sculptors and painters to weavers and jewellers. The Mercury Bay Art Escape is a popular self-drive art tour from Tairua through to Otama, set up to showcase the amazing talent this area has to offer.
The offical event has been held annually in March every year since 2008, but its roots go as far back as 2005. Across 2 weekends, around 50 participating local artists and galleries open their studio doors to the public, providing a great opportunity to see the artists at work and a chance to meet and talk with them to understand the inspiration behind their work.
The guest speaker at the Gala Opening last year was art reviewer TJ McNamara.
So…Book your stay at Flaxmill and use us as a convenient base from which to enjoy the Art Escape.
Local TIPs on the ART ESCAPE
- Open Studio Weekends 2019: 2nd & 3rd March, 9th & 10th March
- Time: 10am - 4pm
- Where: Participating artist studios and galleries in the Mercury Bay area
- Gala Opening 2019: TBC
- Tour Guide: An official guide is released each year which provides a great reference, easy to follow maps and information about the participating artists. This is available from The Mercury Bay Art Escape website.
- And of course...Don't forget to book your accommodation at Flaxmill ;-)
USE flaxmill as a BASE to enjoy the art escape...
- Walking distance to Cooks Beach and the passenger ferry at Ferry Landing
- 10 minutes drive to Hahei
- 15 minutes drive to Hot Water Beach
- 15 minutes drive to Whenuakite