hot water beach
Hot Water Beach is a popular tourist destination in the Coromandel for both NZ and International visitors alike and is only a 15 minute drive from Flaxmill Bay.
Geothermic underground hot springs (sometimes as hot as 60ºC or 140ºF) run under the beach and bubble up through the sand, so that at low tide, you can dig your very own personal spa pool to relax in. A perfect activity all year round and a "Must Do" in the area!
It can get very crowded on the beach (especially over the NZ summer holidays), so make sure you allow enough time to get there, find a good spot and dig your hole. The hot springs are located about 100 metres along the beach from the top carpark.
If you're looking for some unique gifts, jewellery or garden art to take home, you should also visit Moko Artspace (just opposite the top carpark) before you go. If you need to grab a coffee or something to eat, there's Hot Waves Cafe nearby or takeaways and icecreams available at the beach shop.
LOCAL TIPs on hot water beach...
- Best time to dig: Between 1-2 hours either side of low tide.
- Occasionally, if there has been a storm or a very high tide, the hot pools may still be covered by the sea at low tide.
- You'll need: Togs, towels and a decent spade (these can be hired at the beach shop by the top carpark).
- We also recommend: Taking a bucket so you can cool down your pool with sea water. The water can get VERY HOT!
- Access: 100m along the beach from the top carpark to the rocky outcrops (you'll see other people and steam rising from the sand). There is no wheelchair or stroller access.
- If the top carpark is full, there is an alternate carpark at Bull Paddock on the left as you approach Hot Water Beach (before you cross the bridge). Follow the bush track by the stream to get to the beach. See photo # 5 for a walking map.
- Facilities: There are toilets, changing rooms and outdoor showers by the top carpark.
- SAFETY: Hot Water Beach is known for strong, fast-forming rips. It is NOT recommended as a swimming beach (especially for children or inexperienced swimmers).
- Where to stay? With us, of course! Book Here
flaxmill is 15 mins drive to hot water beach...
- Turn right from our gates onto Purangi Road
- After about 6kms, turn left on to Hahei Road
- Drive for about 4kms to the Hahei intersection and turn right onto Link Road
- Drive for about 3kms until the Hot Water Beach turn off on the left
- Drive until you reach the shops and car park at Hot Water Beach