Cathedral Cove, near Hahei is a popular tourist destination located within the Te-Whangaui-A-Hei Marine Reserve. The Cove itself gets its name from the naturally formed "Cathedral" archway carved out by the sea and wind over thousands of years (as seen in the popular movie, The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe).
Only accessible by foot (or boat/water taxi or kayak), this spectacular 3.2 km (2 miles) coastal walk takes you through to Cathedral Cove, past quintessential Coromandel scenery of pohutukawa trees and white sandy beaches. As well as the Cove itself, there are many beautiful places to explore along the way including Gemstone Bay and Stingray Bay (known for being wonderful diving and snorkelling spots).
The walk takes around 30 mins each way. The track is well maintained, however there are inclines and steps so a reasonable level of fitness is required. Because of this, it is not stroller or pushchair friendly.
The start of the walkway is only 10 minutes drive from Flaxmill Bay.
FLAXMILL's TIPs on cathedral cove...
- You'll need: Decent walking shoes, water, sunscreen, togs/swimwear/towel (if you want to swim)
- Don't forget: Your camera for all the stunning photo opportunities (there are many)!
- Take a picnic: There are also many wonderful places enroute, so make a day of it
- There is no wheelchair access and the track is not stroller or pushchair friendly, however there is a regular water taxi service from Hahei
- Going down to Cathedral Cove are quite a few steps, so make sure you can handle coming back up them!
- The carpark gets very busy so you may have to park in Hahei and walk up. During the summer holidays (Dec-Feb) there is a paid park and ride service
- Alternatively, you can access the coastal walking track from the northen end of Hahei beach, this will add another 20-30 mins on top of your walk
- There are local tour groups who offer Boat Trips or Kayak Tours which take in this Marine Reserve and Cathedral Cove
flaxmill is only 10 mins drive to start of the cathedral cove walk...
- Turn right from our gates onto Purangi Road
- After about 6kms, turn left on to Hahei Road
- Drive for about 4kms to the Hahei turn off
- Drive into Hahei and turn left after the shops onto Grange Road South
- Follow the road up to the carpark and follow the signs from there