Flaxmill Bay Location
Flaxmill Bay is a small, sheltered bay situated between Cooks Beach and Ferry Landing on the east coast of the Coromandel Peninsula. The general area is a popular holiday spot due to its proximity to Auckland and Hamilton (around a 2.5 hr drive), the untouched beaches, great fishing and boating spots and beautiful scenery.
Whereas nearby Cooks Beach is a well-known holiday destination, Flaxmill Bay is still somewhat undiscovered, making it a more relaxing place to stay over the busy summer months, yet still close to the passenger ferry to Whitianga and all the local highlights.
Flaxmill Accommodation, Campground and Venue is located at the start of the bay (just past Cooks Beach) and is adjacent to the stunning Flaxmill Bay beach and Shakespeare Cliff.
View Map & Driving Directions >>
Also known as Maramaratotara Bay, Flaxmill Bay got its English name from one of the early industries in the area, Flax milling. Popular from the 1860s onwards, the processed flax was used primarily for making rope for both the internal market and the export market to Britain.
The Mercury Bay region is the birthplace of many early New Zealand industries and has a very significant place in the historical timeline. The bay itself was named by Captain James Cook during his voyage on the HMS Endeavour in 1769 in which he observed the transit of Mercury and in doing so, established an accurate longitude for New Zealand. More Local History >>
peaceful and convenient...
- Adjacent to Flaxmill Bay beach and Shakespeare Cliff Reserve
- Set in 5.5 acres of parkland, native planting and mature trees
- 1.5 km to Ferry Landing and the passenger ferry to Whitianga
- 10 min walk to Cooks Beach
- 10 min drive to Hahei and the Cathedral Cove Walk
- 15 min drive to Hot Water Beach
- Many beautiful bush walks in the surrounding area
- A convenient base for popular events Whitianga Scallop Festival, the Leadfoot Festival and Mercury Bay Art Escape
- Cafe/Restaurants nearby - View Our Dining Guide
- Takeaways, Wine Shop and General Store at Cooks Beach
- Organic food stores at Eggsentric and at The Ferry Landing Store
- Two full supermarkets at Whitianga - New World and Countdown